Today – less PowerShell-ish topic, although PowerShell was both used and was main reason I started this journey. Few days ago Windows 8 RSAT RTM went out. Like many other admins I jumped on this wagon as soon as possible. I’ve installed the package and… nothing happened. I haven’t seen any errors yet tools that are part of RSAT where not present on my box. What I did? Obviously, I went to google and asked for solution. But found only few other folks that had the same issue, and many others who installed this package without any issues at all. Something had to be different, but I had no idea – what?
Installer had no effect, so I decided to go harder route, unpack .mui file and try installing .cab directly. And that gave me two hints:
First: I finally got error when I tried to use Add-WindowsPackage on RSAT cab:
Studying RSAT.log revealed issue:
Error DISM API: PID=1468 TID=1620 The package is not applicable to the image. – CAddPackageCommandObject::InternalExecute(hr:0x800f081e)
Second: when I did Get-WindowsPackage to list packages installed I find out that I have only en-GB language pack on my box. I was surprised because I was sure I’ve installed en-US image, but apparently I was wrong:
All I had to do was to find language pack and hope it’s actually that causing my issues. I came back short when I tried to find it on installation DVD (and that’s how I got certain that it was in fact en-GB), so went back on MSDN and downloaded Windows 8 Language Pack (x64) – DVD (Multiple Languages). Once I added en-US language pack:
… I was able to install RSAT too:
I wouldn’t probably write a blog post about it, but I expect a lot people may get too frustrated with this to actually find this solution. So here you have – step by step instructions. As you can see from date on screenshot, I repeated it today and it all went smooth on my test box. No reboot or settings change required – all I had to do was installing language pack. Pity it’s not mentioned on RSAT download page at all.